Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Back to the source ...

I had an opportunity to preach just one week ago. The text I was given was from James chapter 3, with the subject being, Taming the Tongue. It is interesting for me as I look back again, because what I drew from this passage was the fact that the tongue is not the real issue, it is the source from which we speak - the heart. And here I am today, reading my Bible and reminded of this all over again, have a look at Mark chapter 7 commencing at verse one and concluding at verse 23.

Here are the concluding verses again ...

Mark 7:20-23 (New Living Translation)



20 And then he added, “It is what comes from inside that defiles you. 21 For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. 23 All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.”

I pick up on this afresh, because I know it is true for my own life, right now. I have been on one of those wandering journeys of tiredness and somewhat a loss of focus, doing my job, but I cannot be satisfied feeling I have been who I was created to BE. Fortunately, I return to the source which reminds me what I need, to get back on track.

I am interested in the list that Jesus outlines of stuff that flows from the defiled heart. And it saddens me, because when I look back in my own life, I can see how frightfully true these become of my life when I am off track, when my heart is out of alignment with my Creator.

Today I recommence my journey in the freshness of The Word (the Scriptures) and I seek to tap into the heart of God, as my source, so that my heart and all that flows from it (from me), might be pure and honest, wholesome and good. I want to honour the One who is the source of life for my life.

Father, forgive me for having wandered from You, the source of my BEing. Help me to remain in You as the Branch does within the Vine, drawing life for my life. Help me to remain connected, and thus true and pure to Your values and character, in Jesus name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...