Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Lifeling Journey

Well here we are in a new year and I have taken up the challenge to attempt to record something of my exploration of life through this means. I have commenced a new book titled "The Lego Principle" (The power of connecting to God and one another) by Joey Bonifacio. For those who have followed this blog previously you will know this follows something of a strong belief of mine that we are to be about "connecting" - to God, each other and our community.

Along with reading this I have commenced again the Life Journal Reading Plan today, and along with a great friend look to explore the passages together in relation to "what has God to say to us". Thus it was shared with me the reminder from the creation story, that God doesn't want us to be alone. Often I refer to this in the sense that inherently within each of us is a need for, longing for relationship. In the first place this is with God as Creator and beyond this with each other. We are not created to be as islands standing alone, rather purposed in creation to interact and know love through our relationships with each other.

Joey Bonifacio in his exploration of discipleship takes us back to the Matthew 28: 19-20 passage -

19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations,[a] baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (NLT)  
 
He commences with this notion of baptism and what this might mean for us in relation to what it meant for Jesus as He too was baptised and the strong connection this forms with God. The emphasis placed upon being "fully immersed, submerged, and soaked. Every part of Him (Jesus) was dedicated and consecrated as He publicly identified Himself with God."

In The Salvation Army I have personally seen our use of the Mercy Seat as a symbolism of the act of baptism whereby our kneeling identifies us with the total surrender to Christ (identifying with Christ in the fully being immersed, submerged and soaked) and rising in the triumphant power of the resurrection with Christ. Note the connectedness we have with Jesus in this act whereby we give over "everything" to live in Him, to be identified with Him in this newness of life.

Go back a moment to the Baptism of Jesus (Matthew 3: 13-17) and be reminded of what was of particular significance, not the actual ritual but the result of Jesus' baptism, says Joey Bonifacio. As the words are echoed again for us, "This is My Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased." Words that reflect the strength of the relationship. Words that we might be reminded are for us when we connect to God in our being fully immersed, submerged and soaked in the Spirit  of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...