Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Anxious prayer ...

As I read the following Psalm, I was lead to think of the first sentence in parallel with the prayer of a flight of people upon an aircraft today who not long after take-off had an engine catch fire and force them to dump fuel and return back to an airport other than it's destination. As you might imagine, for many of the people on board this was an anxious moment. They were unsure as to what might happen. They had reason to wonder whether this might be the last flight they would ever take, and even the news recorded, many of them prayed.

Psalm 70:1-5 (New Living Translation)
For the choir director: A psalm of David, asking God to remember him.
1 Please, God, rescue me!
Come quickly, Lord, and help me.
2 May those who try to kill me
be humiliated and put to shame.
May those who take delight in my trouble
be turned back in disgrace.
3 Let them be horrified by their shame,
for they said, “Aha! We’ve got him now!”
4 But may all who search for you
be filled with joy and gladness in you.
May those who love your salvation
repeatedly shout, “God is great!”
5 But as for me, I am poor and needy;
please hurry to my aid, O God.
You are my helper and my savior;
O Lord, do not delay.

There is a part of me that might want to respond, yeah pray when your life is at risk. But then I stop a moment and here is my prayer:

Father, I pray that in the prayers of these people, whether they were people who knew You or not, that these people today would recognise You as the living God. They would believe their prayers to have been answered. that in these fleeting moments, they might have seen something, even a mere glimpse of who You are and they now believe.

It is so easy for me to become cynical and down on those who turn to God when something isn't right in their lives, but I hope I am learning more and more to see the possibilities that exist. That even in these moments god can act and can be seen and that people can believe. That is what I ultimately want, people to turn to God and experience Him like I do. I hope you want this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...