Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Thursday, January 24, 2013

An Unqualified Yes ...

Have you had those occasions when you have committed yourself with full intention to fulfill the commitment you have made, only to find you have struggled at some point, something else grabbed your attention or became a distraction to you fulfilling this intention?

Have a read of this account of the people of Israel:

Joshua 24:16-24

The Message (MSG)
16 The people answered, “We’d never forsake God! Never! We’d never leave God to worship other gods.
17-18 God is our God! He brought up our ancestors from Egypt and from slave conditions. He did all those great signs while we watched. He has kept his eye on us all along the roads we’ve traveled and among the nations we’ve passed through. Just for us he drove out all the nations, Amorites and all, who lived in the land.
“Count us in: We too are going to worship God. He’s our God.”
19-20 Then Joshua told the people: “You can’t do it; you’re not able to worship God. He is a holy God. He is a jealous God. He won’t put up with your fooling around and sinning. When you leave God and take up the worship of foreign gods, he’ll turn right around and come down on you hard. He’ll put an end to you—and after all the good he has done for you!”
21 But the people told Joshua: “No! No! We worship God!”
22 And so Joshua addressed the people: “You are witnesses against yourselves that you have chosen God for yourselves—to worship him.”
And they said, “We are witnesses.”
23 Joshua said, “Now get rid of all the foreign gods you have with you. Say an unqualified Yes to God, the God of Israel.”
24 The people answered Joshua, “We will worship God. What he says, we’ll do.”

I believe it is time for those of us who belong to Christ to stick up our hands and with that action say an unqualified "YES!" I will worship God, He is my God.

However, like the people of Israel I would do well to follow the instruction of Joshua and examine what might stop me from going 'all out' in this endeavour? What are the idols that might get in the way? What is it I worship that is going to hinder me from being 'full-on' for God?

Is it a possession? Maybe a lifestyle? The fact that 'I' like to be in charge of my life? What is the foreign element that hinders the relationship and gets in the way of total surrender to God? In identifying this I do well to let it go, surrender it, count it as nothing in comparison to the God I worship.

'Lord, assist me in my personal examination to see that which hinders a healthy, fruitful, growing relationship with You and give me the strength and determination to let it go.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...