Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, January 28, 2013

Who Are You Listening To?

1 Samuel 3:8-10

The Message (MSG)
8-9 God called again, “Samuel!”—the third time! Yet again Samuel got up and went to Eli, “Yes? I heard you call me. Here I am.”
That’s when it dawned on Eli that God was calling the boy. So Eli directed Samuel, “Go back and lie down. If the voice calls again, say, ‘Speak, God. I’m your servant, ready to listen.’” Samuel returned to his bed.
10 Then God came and stood before him exactly as before, calling out, “Samuel! Samuel!”
Samuel answered, “Speak. I’m your servant, ready to listen.”

The story of Samuel is one of my favourites. I would encourage you to take the time to sit down some time and read it through.

This passage has me thinking about the voices we listen to. There have been many occasions when I have had people talk to me about what they have been told in the past, you might know the stuff, they will amount to nothing, they are hopeless, worthless, just taking up space. The reality is, you hear that stuff enough and you begin to believe it.

As people begin to encounter Christ and hopefully, as they begin to encounter good, honest followers of Christ, they begin to hear fresh messages. Messages of love and encouragement, value and purpose. The struggle is, which do I believe? Who do I listen to?

Further to this, for some there because another difficulty, how do I know that it is God speaking to me? I reckon there are a couple of things to be looking for. Firstly, God is consistent. Does what you hear match up to what is recorded of Him in the Scripture? Because God doesn't all of a sudden go back on His word. So, is it about grace, mercy, peace and love? Secondly, who are the people in the church that exemplify Christ in their lives? Those who reveal the fruit of the Spirit in their living? For these are the people that are discerning and are able to assist you in understanding if what you are hearing is of God, seek them out.

Friends, let's be those people of God, people who live life in Christ. Let's ensure we are encouragers and assisting others to determine what God's will and plan is for them. Bless you real good as you do this for the Kingdom!   

1 comment:

  1. I like the clarification in that if its not about grace, mercy and love then its not of God. Thanks Andrew!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know your thoughts ...