Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Keeping Focused ...

I wonder, when I read of amazing young men like Solomon (1 Kings), renowned for his wisdom, and in his wisdom the way he was able to lead so well. We might recollect the building of the Lord's temple, and the royal palace for himself, the fact that the construction took some 20 years in sum total. So how can we read later of him not heading the clear instruction of the Lord. I am referring to the taking of foreign wives:

1 Kings 11:2 ‘You must not marry them, because they will turn your hearts to their gods.’ Yet Solomon insisted on loving them anyway.

Do you wonder about this?

As I have thought about this today, I have been reminded how easy it is to become distracted from doing what I ought to be doing. How easy it is to be drawn into another conversation away from the purposed dialogue I set out to have with another, and before I know it, we have gone your separate ways and still haven't had the conversation I intended to have, or resolved the issue requiring attention. I recall the times I have gone looking for one thing and come back with something else that I was drawn to when I saw it.

It would be easy to condemn Solomon for his inability to stick with the implicit instruction of God and forget that I too am like him at times. I find other things aluring to the eye and before I know it this has my full attention.

Solomon and his family were to pay a heavy price for this failure.

"Lord, I desire to keep focused on that which is pure and right and in accordance with Your will for my life, please help me to remain focused!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...