Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Friday, May 28, 2010

Listen and live ...

There is much that I could focus on tonight. For instance, try reading Romans 8 and not finding a tonne of stuff to write about. Or I could find myself expressing my deep concern for what I observe to be the laziness of some around me, those who seemingly just do not pull their weight, whilst others are so conscientious, that my concern is they will not finish the race because they will burn themselves out (another topic for the future I think). However, to something else.

I am drawn today to the following passages of Scripture:

Proverbs 4:4 (New Living Translation)
4 My father taught me,
“Take my words to heart.
Follow my commands, and you will live.

Proverbs 5

1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom;
listen carefully to my wise counsel.

My generation (I think I am sounding old at this point, even to myself) knew the wise counsel of listening to those with experience and the knowledge of life. The importance of following their instruction and even learning from their mistakes. And this is all good to do.

But, there is more, for the letter to the Romans does remind us that the real difference comes when the Spirit of God lives in us. The old, sinful life no longer, has to have control, because the Spirit of God cleanses, frees and gives us direction. Our work is complete. Our life is forever and this only gets better after an earthly death.

"Father, for I can call you this as your adopted son, please help me to listen to the counsel of Your Spirit, that my path might be straight and that where I take people will be of benefit to them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...