Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chinese whispers ...

Well I reckon from the reading tonight the Lord must have been aware of the game of "Chinese whispers", you know what I mean - a group of people gather, someone begins a message and whispers it to the next person, who whispers it to the next and on it goes until it gets right through to the very last person. Seldom is the concluding message exactly the same as the message that the group commenced with. So here is what I read:

Habakkuk 2:2-3 (New Living Translation)
The Lord’s Second Reply
2 Then the Lord said to me,
“Write my answer plainly on tablets,
so that a runner can carry the correct message to others.
3 This vision is for a future time.
It describes the end, and it will be fulfilled.
If it seems slow in coming, wait patiently,
for it will surely take place.
It will not be delayed.

The prophet Habakkuk is recounting a vision that he was given. He is struggling with the circumstances he finds himself and the nation within. There seems to be nothing by strife and trouble for them. There is certainly no hope (it appears). And even in the Lord's first reply (response) to their questioning, it may seem that the Lord is set on destroying or annihilating them.

Here is where I see the Lord saying, I am not about to entrust the message to someone who might get it wrong, or twisted or out of shape in any way. I want My message to be clear, plain, simple, correct and precise. I want no mistaking that I have a plan that is for you.

Have a look again, this time through Eugene Peterson's The Message,

Habakkuk 2:2-3 (The Message)
Full of Self, but Soul-Empty
2-3And then God answered: "Write this.
Write what you see.
Write it out in big block letters
so that it can be read on the run.
This vision-message is a witness
pointing to what's coming.
It aches for the comingit can hardly wait!
And it doesn't lie.
If it seems slow in coming, wait.
It's on its way. It will come right on time.
Lord I am glad Your message is given to me (us) plain and simple, though I see many who just don't get it. You anoint and appoint me (us) to carry Your message into the world. In my (our) attempt to be faithful to this purpose, help me to be ever reliant on Your Spirit to speak through me and help me not to be a hurdle or barrier to the clarity of Your message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...