Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Sunday, August 29, 2010

No solo leaders ...

I am not sure if I have mentioned another book I have been reading (put it aside while I was away on holidays as I didn't want to take a book I was nearly finished). Leadership Gold by John Maxwell. Let me say from the outset, the title sums up the content. If you are seeking a book on leadership that has the richness of much experience (tried and tested) and lots of practical tips for being the best leader you can be, then this book is for you. Twenty Six golden nugget lessons.

Here was the one that stood out to me this morning - Few Leaders Are Successful Unless A Lot Of People Want Them To Be. John Maxwell says - We believe individuals like Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Charlemagne, William the Conqueror, Louis XIV, Abraham Lincoln, and Winston Churchill would be great no matter what kind of support they got. but that simply isn't true. Without a lot of people working together, there would be no successful leaders.

In other words, behind all these amazingly great people, there were lots of other people working away. Yes, they were probably fulfilling the vision and instructions passed on to them from their leader, but they were doing their bit. They were fulfilling their part. The leader had a reliance upon them.

Now this is not to diminish the greatness of the leader or their contribution. It serves as a reminder that we need others to help us. We cannot do this alone.

Paul reminds us of the Body. Jesus the head, each of us having a part to play. Some the eye, some the hands, some the heart, etc. None more important than another. All significant. All of value. All required by the other.

Let us celebrate the importance of others in what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...