Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Saturday, August 21, 2010

What do you love ...

It can be an interesting conversation to ask this question. the answers I am sure will be (or may be) quite varied, from I love my wife, my kids (children), my lifestyle, my home, my car, CHOCOLATE (mmmm), etc. of course if we were to look for biblical descriptors we would find that there are different terms for love (but I am not going there today). Simply I want to be thinking about the things that we might invest ourselves in to. What we give our attention to. What we focus on. have a look at the verses for today:

1 John 2:15-17 (New Living Translation)

Do Not Love This World


15 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. 16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. 17 And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.

It is a bit like that Scripture that reminds us we cannot love both money and God, you will love one and hate the other. You cannot have two masters. If you give yourself over to (give your attention, focus, invest your time and resources into) the world and the things of the world, the very real outcome is that God is snubbed, put on the back burner, left out of the equation.

The world (or the things in it) have great allurement to the eye. they have a tendency to have outcomes of a pleasurable nature (albeit temporary). And we can be pretty much assured that once it gets a hold of us, it is difficult to break free from its grasp - thus the warning.

Lord, I know I can be attracted to many things within the world. There is much that captures my eye. Help me to keep my attention to the things that are of You. Help me to focus on You. help me to invest in the Kingdom that is Yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...