Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, August 2, 2010

Mirror, Mirror ...

As I was reading through the passage (as per below) I began thinking of the Fairy Tale "Snow White". I thought of the queen (?) and her seeing what she wanted to see in the mirror each day, until one day the mirror revealed to her another story (someone fairer than herself, someone far more beautiful). And she didn't like what she saw, however it was the truth.

In this passage of Scripture the people have some association with God, though it seems only by name now, for He awaits them to call on Him but they don't. They go about their own ways and practices, much of which is offensive and a slap in the face to God. And it is like He has to hold a mirror up to them to see this:

Isaiah 65 (New Living Translation)
Judgment and Final Salvation
1 The Lord says,
“I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help.
I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me.
I said, ‘Here I am, here I am!’
to a nation that did not call on my name.
2 All day long I opened my arms to a rebellious people.
But they follow their own evil paths
and their own crooked schemes.
3 All day long they insult me to my face
by worshiping idols in their sacred gardens.
They burn incense on pagan altars.
4 At night they go out among the graves,
worshiping the dead.
They eat the flesh of pigs
and make stews with other forbidden foods.
5 Yet they say to each other,
‘Don’t come too close or you will defile me!
I am holier than you!’
These people are a stench in my nostrils,
an acrid smell that never goes away.


I was particularly interested that these people, in all their actions (and practices) which were obviously contrary to what God had directed through the generations, had the thinking that they were holy. And that they desired for others not to defile them. It was a reminder to me of how easy it can be that we get so caught up in what we are doing that we don't see how off centre, or off track our living is to the plan and purpose of God. So much so that we soon believe ourselves that it is OK. That we see only what we want to see in the mirror.

How grateful I am that either through my reading of the Scripture (a discipline necessary to keep on track), or other materials, and on occasions through some close, honest friends, God on occasions holds up a mirror of truth for me to see what is "really" happening in my life.

It is my desire Lord, that when You reveal the truth of my ways, my intentions and my practices that are contrary to Your plan and desire for me, that I take note and make the necessary change/s. I want not to be amongst another group of Pharisees in the world today. Help me through Your Holy Spirit to be faithful and honouring of You by the way I live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...