Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The stand-outs ...

Looking at the passage of Jesus being betrayed by Judas, had me thinking of the "stand-out" moments in people's lives. Those moments that distinguished them from others. The times when that real "something" made them stand out from the crowd, from everyone else.

Maybe I am wrong, but there seems to be those moments for many people who we characterise as being "above" others. It was a moment in time that captured our attention and appealed to us. Think about it in this sense. Mother Theresa is a "stand-out" in our minds - yet, is she the only one who has worked (works) in the slums of India assisting the poor - no. But there was a moment in time where she captured the attention of "someone" (and then others) and that moment was leveraged to bring attention to the plight of the people she was looking to assist. Throughout history there seems many just like this.

Reading the account in John's Gospel today (actually yesterday now - John 18: 1-14) I sensed this to be another of those "stand-out" moments for Jesus. There are some of us who might have wanted to be behind Peter (just after he has cut off the ear of the High Priest's slave - Malchus), behind him yelling, "now one in the chest, and look out for the person behind you - run Jesus, run ..." But the reaction of Jesus was very different. He has Peter put the sword away, puts the ear back on the guys head and echoes once more His resign to do the will of His Father. He hands Himself over to those who have come with the intent that they might snuff out His life. He gives Himself over to death. Yes, He knew only too well what this would all mean, and yet, He was still willing to face that music.

You know what stands out even more for me, what amazes me more than anything else? The fact that Jesus, at this moment, was willing to give up Himself for me, not the world, all peoples everywhere, for me. That He was willing (and remains willing) to surrender His life that I might know life in all it's fullness - wow, that just blows my mind.

What a "stand-out" moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...