Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, August 23, 2010

A matter of choice ...

I thought something slightly different tonight. I have been reading another non-fiction of two sisters who rescued Jews from the Nazis - Safe Passage by Ida Cook (one of the sisters). It truly is a remarkable story and spells out for me the heroism of two woman, as they willingly took enormous risks to bring life to others, for whom life was threatened.

Something that stood out was an encounter with someone whom they had come to admire greatly and this question was asked of her, "What was it Marjorie, that keeps you so bright and courageous in spite of everything? you must have some clear and remarkable philosophy to support you." She smiled mischievously, but replied without hesitation, "Well, you see, many people believe in God and make themselves miserable. We believe in God and have lots of fun. That's all."

"That's all." It sounds so simple doesn't it. And yet, in a sense, isn't it? Is it not merely a matter of what we choose for it to be? Some choose misery. We have an option to choose otherwise - to choose fun. To choose life. To choose something positive and affirming and infectious (in the positive sense). We can choose to allow the circumstances to dictate disappointment and loss, or we can choose to rise above it and learn and be thankful for surviving it.

What about you? What is your choice? As for me - I choose fun!

1 comment:

Please let me know your thoughts ...