Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Your witness ...

Often I encounter people who look to others to bear testimony (witness) to what they have accomplished or done in their lives, aspects that might impress or at least stand out about their work, etc. And to be honest, I too have hoped that others might note my abilities and the hard work I have put in to any task I have undertaken, and that it has counted for something.

I think it is for this reason this passage stood out for me tonight. Jesus reminds us that it is not what others have to say about or for us. The witness we have is about the words that we have spoken and how these have been backed up with action:

John 5:31-38 (New Living Translation)
Witnesses to Jesus

31 “If I were to testify on my own behalf, my testimony would not be valid. 32 But someone else is also testifying about me, and I assure you that everything he says about me is true. 33 In fact, you sent investigators to listen to John the Baptist, and his testimony about me was true. 34 Of course, I have no need of human witnesses, but I say these things so you might be saved. 35 John was like a burning and shining lamp, and you were excited for a while about his message. 36 But I have a greater witness than John—my teachings and my miracles. The Father gave me these works to accomplish, and they prove that he sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has testified about me himself. You have never heard his voice or seen him face to face, 38 and you do not have his message in your hearts, because you do not believe me—the one he sent to you.
 
John 5:41 (New Living Translation)
41 “Your approval means nothing to me,

There is no doubt that I want to feel I have a place amongst others. I want to be recognised as having made some contribution. I want to do the very best I possibly can, in relation to anything/everything I do. However, what I might need to address is where I seek my approval from in relation to this. It seems natural to seek this from those around us, colleagues, family, a spouse, etc. Yet, surely the greatest approval is that which comes from God. And yet, I am further reminded from the account in Matthew 25: 31-46 (The Final Judgement - The Sheep and the Goats), that we ought not to be looking for approval. We ought not to be doing unto others merely for recognition. It ought to be rather, a part of our very being and just what we do.
 
Lord, may my service be that which comes from a desire to fully worship You in all I am and in all I do. May it be that I not seek accolades and approval from others, rather being satisfied in knowing that I am obedient to the call You have placed upon my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...