Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Saturday, July 17, 2010

And do ...

There has been a shift over the last number of years toward ensuring that we are a people (Christians) who listen to God. That we stop amongst the busyness of our days and remove ourselves from the activity of our lives (even ministry stuff) and spend some time hearing (listening) what God has to say to us. In fact, I personally have been a huge advocate to giving our attention to BEing, and though I have emphasised this over "doing", I would not have wanted this to misinterpret the need to "do". Just that the greater emphasis, the first action be, to "BE".

Apart from the Scripture verse that I will reveal in a moment, only today I had an opportunity to attend some training to which I was reminded, "the gaining of knowledge (hearing, listening, learning), is nothing if I do not put it into practice."

The following verse is a part of a slightly larger grouping of verses on the topic (James 1: 19-27) so have a look at them in greater fulness:

James 1:22 (New Living Translation)
22 But don’t just listen to God’s word.
You must do what it says.
Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.

Have you heard the expression, "they are so heavenly minded that they are of no earthly use." I liken the advise of this passage to this. I can hear all that God has to say to me. I can be an amazing scholar of the Word (the Scriptures). I can gain a tremendous amount  of insight into the love and care of God, and His plan of salvation for all people. But, if I don't make any application of this learning, this listening, this instruction and guidance, what good is it? What will be accomplished? Will the Kingdom of God see any growth through me? (highly unlikely).

"Father, I understand that merely doing is not what you call me too. I am not required to be preoccupied with activity and action, whereby I loose sight of BEing who You created me to be, with spiritual purpose and depth and growth in developing more and more the charachter of Your Son Jesus. Yet, I also understand that in this development and learning, I am to be active for You, a doer. Help me to keep this all in check and follow Your plan for my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...