Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Assurance in difficult circumstances ...

We often consider God as One who rescues us from some difficult circumstance. The thought of a Saviour who takes us out of the situation, removes the threat or plucks us from it. And sometimes this might be the case. However, on other occasions we may continue in the difficulty, but God promises to be right there with us, in the midst of it.

I remember well the 9/11 attacks in New York, etc. I recall the questions, many, many questions that people had. Amongst them was the question, where was God in all this. And the answer that often came in response from those who were there, those affected and in the midst of it all - God was right there with us.

If you remember the story or account of the "Footprints in the Sand" you will remember that whilst the journey of the person highlights the companionship of One (Christ) traveling beside him through life (symbolised by two sets of footprints), when the going got tough, there remained only one set of footprints. Naturally he queried, Lord, where were You when it got tough, when I needed You most. And the Lord responded, I was carrying you.

Today's passage of Scripture reminded me of these occasions/examples:

Isaiah 43:1-3 (New Living Translation)
The Savior of Israel
1 But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you.
O Israel, the one who formed you says,
Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
2 When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
3 For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...

The passage reminds me that there will be difficult times that I will face in my life. There is no escaping these, in fact, in 1 Peter 4: 12-19 I am reminded that I will face much more because of being a Christian than if I were not. People will oppose me just for this reason, because they do not understand. But, in the circumstance, whilst I am right in the midst of it, my God, the One who created me and ransomed me, will be there with me. The Lord will not let the circumstance overtake me, or beat me.

Lord, there are times when I question what is happening in my life. Times when I might ask, where are You Lord? And yet I am challenged by the reminder that You are there with me. You, the One who created me and bought me back with the price of your only Son, and You will continue to be my Saviour. Lord, I look to You again today and ask that I might never forget this. That I might not question this. That I might bear testimony to Your faithfulness to do ALL You have said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...