Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Sunday, July 4, 2010

From your strength ...

I have commenced another book which some friends recommended to me, and I must say, I am not at all disappointed in this - Leadership Gold by John Maxwell. The chapter I was reading today brought back a theory and pet conversation of mine when discussing school curriculum and education of children today. That of the strong focus around a base group of subjects, often to the neglect of the personal lean or gifting of the person concerned. You know what I mean, writing, reading and arithmetic, where a person might not be very good at some of these areas, but strong in the arts, drawing, carpentry, music, etc. and yet these are not seen to be as important or even of value (not at least in high school years anyway).

John Maxwell was sharing in the chapter Get in the Zone and Stay There, the need for leaders to know what there zone is (become familiar with this) and to operate from within this strength. In fact, he suggests it even more strongly than this, for when one identifies their strong area to operate within, they should not only ensure they make every effort to operate within this, they ought to be doing all they can to develop this area too.

Aligned to this, we as leaders should also be assisting those whom we lead to find what their strong areas are, help them to keep focused in these for the benefit of them as individuals (feeling fulfilled and successful in their contribution), the organisation and of course the Kingdom of God. So what about this success.

John Maxwell says, I believe success is:
  • knowing your purpose in life
  • growing your maximum potential, and
  • sowing seeds that benefit others

"Lord, it is my desire to lead well. To understand clearly the way you have wired me, gifted me and to ensure I operate well within this. Help me to bring others along in this journey as well, to teach them, develop them and always to encourage them, for their sake and Your Kingdom's sake."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...