Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The requirements ...

Constantly we discover in the Old Testament, God trying to get through to His chosen people. At times they seem to get it, then it appears they loose their focus again, wander off doing their own thing a while, until something happens or someone else comes along with a message from God to remind them. Here is where the prophets come in (and finally in the New Testament Jesus BECOMES the Living Word). Micah is one of these early prophets. In today's chapter we find God spelling out for the people of Israel:

Micah 6:5 (New Living Translation)
5 Don’t you remember, my people,
how King Balak of Moab tried to have you cursed
and how Balaam son of Beor blessed you instead?
And remember your journey from Acacia Grove to Gilgal,
when I, the Lord, did everything I could
to teach you about my faithfulness.”

God time and time again attempted to make it clear that He desired to be in relationship with His people. He continues to be faithful in this. The real message for us in this passage comes next. Maybe we wonder ourselves, how do I respond to this? How might I make it right with God? What is it He might require of me in response to His faithfulness, His forgiveness, His provision for me being enabled to come back into relationship with Him? Well you might actually be surprised how simple it actually is, examine the dialogue with me:

Micah 6:6-8 (New Living Translation)
6 What can we bring to the Lord?
What kind of offerings should we give him?
Should we bow before God
with offerings of yearling calves?
7 Should we offer him thousands of rams
and ten thousand rivers of olive oil?
Should we sacrifice our firstborn children
to pay for our sins?
8 No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good,
and this is what he requires of you:
to do what is right, to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with your God.

And again:
 
Micah 6:6-8 (The Message)
6-7How can I stand up before God
and show proper respect to the high God?
Should I bring an armload of offerings
topped off with yearling calves?
Would God be impressed with thousands of rams,
with buckets and barrels of olive oil?
Would he be moved if I sacrificed my firstborn child,
my precious baby, to cancel my sin?
8But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do,
what God is looking for in men and women.
It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor,
be compassionate and loyal in your love,
And don't take yourself too seriously—
take God seriously.

Now I reckon you would join me in agreeing that this is possible. It is something we can achieve, especially with the Spirit of God helping us. Think of the impact we will have upon our communities if we took this seriously. You want to transform society? Well I reckon this is a great way to do it - will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...