Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, July 26, 2010

The task ...

From time to time we come across descriptions of what we are to do for God. What calling is upon our lives. Instructions as to the responsibility that belongs to us. Although the passage below directs this to the "Elder", I believe it is as relevant to any who would follow Jesus:

1 Peter 5:1-4 (New Living Translation)
Advice for Elders and Young Men

1 ... As a fellow elder, I appeal to you:
2 Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you.
Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—
not for what you will get out of it,
but because you are eager to serve God.
3 Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care,
but lead them by your own good example.
4 And when the Great Shepherd appears,
you will receive a crown of never-ending glory and honor.
 
I believe we each have a responsibility to care for one another (the flock that God has entrusted us), both congregationally if we are in a pastoral role, or I would even see this relating to the peer to peer relationships we have as well. We all need (require) care. We are entrusted a responsibility to care for one another. But sadly we may need to be reminded to do this not for our sake, not in a begrudging manner, but because we desire to serve God faithfully. Because God requires this of us, it is a part of our service.
 
Lord, help me to lead as one who is caring and loving and faithful to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...