Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, July 5, 2010

Just like us ...

As I read from Hebrews tonight there was something I began to realise afresh. Often my thinking is drawn to the divineness of Christ. As God dwelling amongst us. With all His awesome power and authority and ability to stand firm and against the powers of the world.

And yet, at other times I will have focused on the humanness of Jesus. Drawing the parallels which remind us that He was just like us, He got thirsty, He was hungry, He needed sleep for He was tired.

Yet in Hebrews I am reminded that Jesus became human so that He could save me. He needed to be human to die and conquer death, breaking the power death has over me as a mortal being. In this way He could free me from any fear of dying. The writer continues:

Hebrews 2:16-17 (New Living Translation)
16 We also know that the Son did not come to help angels;
he came to help the descendants of Abraham.
17 Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in
every respect like us, his brothers and sisters,
so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God.
Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people.

It makes me realise again the nature of God’s plan for me. That He would give up His Son that I could have life in abundance and fullness through Him (Jesus).

I like this final verse from this chapter too:

Hebrews 2:18 (New Living Translation)
18 Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing,
he is able to help us when we are being tested.

Here I am reminded that Jesus knows what it is to be tested, so when I cry out to Him in my times of struggle, He knows what I am going through. He understands the pressure and the temptation and the struggle for me to stay true. Yet I also am aware that victory is possible. For if Jesus can become like me and make it through even tougher experiences than I will ever know, then surely I can have great hope in Him to see me make it too. I am going to lean on this, learn from this, rely on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...