Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, July 19, 2010

And know ...

There is often some real gems in the Psalms for us. Tonight I pick up on a couple of points that stood out for me, you will find them in bold in the Psalm below:

Psalm 46 (New Living Translation)
1 God is our refuge and strength,
always ready to help in times of trouble.
2 So we will not fear when earthquakes come
and the mountains crumble into the sea.
3 Let the oceans roar and foam.
Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!
4 A river brings joy to the city of our God,
the sacred home of the Most High.
5 God dwells in that city; it cannot be destroyed.
From the very break of day, God will protect it.
6 The nations are in chaos,
and their kingdoms crumble!
God’s voice thunders,
and the earth melts!
7 The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us;
the God of Israel[b] is our fortress.
8 Come, see the glorious works of the Lord:
See how he brings destruction upon the world.
9 He causes wars to end throughout the earth.
He breaks the bow and snaps the spear;
he burns the shields with fire.
10 “Be still, and know that I am God!
I will be honored by every nation.
I will be honored throughout the world.”
11 The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us;
the God of Israel is our fortress.

I love the reminder that in God, I find both my refuge and strength. The Psalmist highlights the effects of disaster that obviously would have been familiar to the people, earthquakes, high seas ... This reminded me of a Blog by Major Brad Watson whilst on deployment to Haiti. Attending a worship service one Sunday, the people were singing of this very fact, though the elements were against them, they trusted in the Lord. Oh that I might continue to place my trust in God to be there for me when stuff is happening around me, and especially when I am affected by it. I want to bear testimony to His faithfulness to me in all things.

The next point was the lovely invitation to - “Be still, and know that I am God!" For me a challenge to settle back and take some time out with God. Reflect upon His majesty, His goodness, His presence, His being. To know Him, and get to know Him better, as God.

Enjoy the Psalm and see what the Lord has to say to you through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...