Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Get rid of it ...

I suppose the first question you might have is - what is "it"?

Have a look at:

Hebrews 12 (New Living Translation)
God’s Discipline Proves His Love
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd
of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off
every weight that slows us down,
especially the sin that so easily trips us up.
And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

What might be the weight that slows us down, or the sin that easily trips us up? Interestingly there are passages that spell out explicitly what is meant at times, but on this occasion it might seem it is left for us to explore and discover for ourselves (the Lord helping us of course).

I have some thoughts in regard to this, especially when relating it back to the imagery of a race (and a runner). I wouldn't dream of running with a large coat on for instance, or work boots, or carrying a ladder or something else. So aligning that to the Christian journey and thinking of it to be like a long distance event, to which I want, desire, and aim to get to the end unscathed if possible. Even in this I am mindful of the physical body, the need to be fit and in good condition. I know when I am not performing well. When the kg's are a bit more than they ought to be. When the muscles are unconditioned. How much harder it is to accomplish things. Can I get them done - yes! But it might take longer. It may require more effort. I might take much longer to recover from the task. So I find I am better off attempting to remain in a good condition physically. And yet, I must watch that even this does not get in the way, that I focus too intently on this rather than getting on with what the Lord requires of me.

This is not all. What else might be considered as entangling us? Could it even be a matter of bettering ourselves in education? Working long hours? Spending too much time with or neglecting to spend any time with family? The consideration needs to be in aligning these to what it is the Lord requires of us, and are these things getting in the way of this? Do we give them greater priority?

"Lord, it is my desire that I might function well for you. Help me in the prioritising of what is right and what is not for this purpose. Help me to be conditioned physically, mentally, socially and spiritually, so that I might operate well for You, as You desire of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...