Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Where's the heart ...

How careful we have to be to ensure we do not get in such a rut that all we are doing is going through the motions. I have seen it, time and time again. Here is the typical one I can recall - "we really must say the Lord's prayer ..." Are you kidding me? Do you not get it? Have a look again, here is a way to fashion your prayer. Here is a model for you. Look at the various elements that are contained, and pray in this fashion. I even recall an occasion whereby for a number of weeks we dissected the model and worked through it to assist people to understand what was meant by this instruction of Jesus. And you know what happened? Somebody approached me at the end of the series and asked, "are we going to say it in the services again each week now." Well you might imagine I just wanted to scream.

The passage from Isaiah tonight reveals to us that the people were fulfilling the elements to worship - sacrifices, burnt offerings, parading in the courts of the temple with ceremony, bringing gifts, burning incense, lifting their hands in prayer and offering many prayers... But, this is not what satisfies the Lord if all it is, is a going through the motions. Have a look at what the Lord required of them (and requires of us).

Isaiah 1:16-17 (New Living Translation)
16 Wash yourselves and be clean!
Get your sins out of my sight.
Give up your evil ways.
17 Learn to do good.
Seek justice.
Help the oppressed.
Defend the cause of orphans.
Fight for the rights of widows.


We are to look out for those who are marginalised and disadvantaged within our communities, that's what this means, that is what the Lord requires. It might be somewhat like the Matthew 25 passage - "as you have done unto the least of these ..."

However, let me point out - it is not merely about our correction, or about what we must do. It follows on somewhat from the restorative reading of yesterday. Have a look at the activity of the Lord in this, as He looks to make things right:

Isaiah 1:18-20 (New Living Translation)
18 “Come now, let’s settle this,”
says the Lord.
“Though your sins are like scarlet,
I will make them as white as snow.
Though they are red like crimson,
I will make them as white as wool.

And the promise if we are obedient:

19 If you will only obey me,
you will have plenty to eat.

And if we are not obedient:

20 But if you turn away and refuse to listen,
you will be devoured by the sword of your enemies.
I, the Lord, have spoken!”


I know where my choice lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...