Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The difference ...

Today I was reminded how much I am glad God is not like me (or any other mortal for that reason). The fact that I (we) can be so quick to rite people off when they have got it wrong. When their lives have messed up big time and I (we) have been offended or disappointed by their actions in some way.

Think about it. If someone we know goes behind our back and tells stuff that we have shared in confidence, or worse still utter lies. We might pretty much cut them off, want nothing more to do with them. And if this were to be repeated time and time again, I am certain we would give up on them.

When I read the many accounts of the people of God getting it so wrong, so often, I would not wonder if God were to say, enough is enough, you will be wiped out – your choice has been made. It seems to be the impression we have of God when He is not happy with a nation who comes against His people. Yet have a look at this passage with me:

Hosea 11:8-11 (New Living Translation)
8 “Oh, how can I give you up, Israel?
How can I let you go?
How can I destroy you like Admah
or demolish you like Zeboiim?
My heart is torn within me,
and my compassion overflows.
9 No, I will not unleash my fierce anger.
I will not completely destroy Israel,
for I am God and not a mere mortal.
I am the Holy One living among you,
and I will not come to destroy.
10 For someday the people will follow me.
I, the Lord, will roar like a lion.
And when I roar,
my people will return trembling from the west.
11 Like a flock of birds, they will come from Egypt.
Trembling like doves, they will return from Assyria.
And I will bring them home again,”
says the Lord.

We read through the proceeding verses that the Lord has given so many opportunities. So many warnings. Yet the people continue to worship false gods. They continue to look to satisfying themselves in any way they choose. But, these are His people. His chosen people. He cannot just let them go. He desires for life to be different for them. It rips Him apart to think of loosening them from His care and protection. So the Lord chooses to give them another go, yet again. Better they come up against Him and His love, than me and my unforgiving nature (at times). That is the difference between He and I.

“Lord, I am glad You don’t treat me as I deserve at times. That You do not abandon me to my own devices, rather, You remain faithful and compassionate and slow to anger with me. Help me Lord, not to take this for granted. Help me to allow You to make the changes in my life that are necessary. I surrender this life over to You and Your plan for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...