Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Friday, July 23, 2010

Tested ...

I am certain I would not get too many hands raised if I asked for people to indicate if they enjoyed some form of pain, discomfort, inconvenience or testing. And yet, isnt it interesting that in these sorts of circumstances we see the real person stand up. It is then we find true character, that which we admire and seek after for ourselves. When we see people who have come through some difficulty, through trials and they shine, we have a greater admiration for them.

Intersetingly, what is it that I might pray, Lord, guard me from all harm, safe guard me from my enemies, from attacks, protect me. So I become challenged by these verses:

1 Peter 1:6-7 (New Living Translation)

6 So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. 7 These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

I am reminded it is going through these tough things that my faith is tested and as it is tested it becomes stronger. A greater reliance upon the Lord. A seeking fervently after Him, not merely to be removed from the testing, but for strength to endure, to be sustained in the testing.

Think about this for a moment. What is the impressive element that stands out about Jesus? It is not His willingness to be put to death, is it? It is the fact that He was put to death. He did go to the cross. He did die. But, then rose again. It wasn't that we knew the commitment to do this for us, it was that it was proven, tested, tried.

My prayer must be, as much as I am fearful to say it, that in the testing, I will look to the Lord and will be found to be worthy. That through the experiences of life, I might be made holy, as He is Holy. Lord, help me in all this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...