Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What are you trusting in ...

The scenario to date - Hezekiah is the King of Judah, Sennacherib is King of Assyria and in the process of invading Judah. King Sennacherib has a very mighty force, far greater in number and power than King Hezekiah and the people he is leading.

Have you experienced the "cocky" sort of attitude from people who think they have it all over you? Those who believe they have the superior and upper hand  over you? Well that is the thought that comes to mind for me when I read this next passage:

2 Kings 18:19-25 (New Living Translation)

Sennacherib Threatens Jerusalem

19 Then the Assyrian king’s chief of staff told them to give this message to Hezekiah:

“This is what the great king of Assyria says: What are you trusting in that makes you so confident? 20 Do you think that mere words can substitute for military skill and strength? Who are you counting on, that you have rebelled against me? 21 On Egypt? If you lean on Egypt, it will be like a reed that splinters beneath your weight and pierces your hand. Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, is completely unreliable!

22 “But perhaps you will say to me, ‘We are trusting in the Lord our God!’ But isn’t he the one who was insulted by Hezekiah? Didn’t Hezekiah tear down his shrines and altars and make everyone in Judah and Jerusalem worship only at the altar here in Jerusalem?

23 “I’ll tell you what! Strike a bargain with my master, the king of Assyria. I will give you 2,000 horses if you can find that many men to ride on them! 24 With your tiny army, how can you think of challenging even the weakest contingent of my master’s troops, even with the help of Egypt’s chariots and charioteers? 25 What’s more, do you think we have invaded your land without the Lord’s direction? The Lord himself told us, ‘Attack this land and destroy it!’”

Ahhhh, that really rubs me up the wrong way. Anyway, that is not where our story ends. We venture over a couple of books to this passage which captures the response of King Hezekiah (now here is some encouragement):
2 Chronicles 32:6-8 (New Living Translation)

6 ... Then Hezekiah encouraged them by saying: 7 “Be strong and courageous! Don’t be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria or his mighty army, for there is a power far greater on our side! 8 He may have a great army, but they are merely men. We have the Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles for us!” Hezekiah’s words greatly encouraged the people.

What a sensational leader! What a man of God! What a man of faith!

Things don't always go our way. We can face much opposition and the attack of people around us that appear to be much stronger, much greater than us. They might even be like the Assyrians who almost were rubbing the nose of Hezekiah and his people in it - "What, you think your God is going to save you? You think He is going to come to your aid? You think you have a hope? Ha!"

Well they did. And God did. And they did have a great hope.

Lord, I seek to have such a strong belief and faith in You to be my defence in time of opposition. My strength in any battle. My hope for the future. Help me to remain faithful and trusting in You through all things. Help me to stand firm on the promises You give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...