Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Know Him ...

The words of this passage might seem odd:


Hosea 6:3a (New Living Translation)
3 Oh, that we might know the Lord!

For don’t we know Him? Isn’t that our firm belief? That we know God.

And yet, when I pause a moment to contemplate this I am reminded that, I don’t really KNOW Him. (I am not sure if you are confused but I think I almost have myself confused). What I am attempting to say is, how can I lay claim to truly KNOWING God? Seriously, think about this a moment. I may know certain elements of who He is because of my experience, my encounters with Him in this journey of life. I can pick up more through the encounters of others as recorded in the Scriptures. But can God be contained in just these experiences, encounters, discoveries? Is it not possible that there is more to be discovered, realised, experienced? And so the writer comes to this desire:

Hosea 6:3a (New Living Translation)
3 Oh, that we might know the Lord!
Let us press on to know him.

I am interested in the way this is captured with the term - “press on”. It seems to express a need for expending energy in this pursuit. It doesn’t merely fall in our laps. It requires effort, determination, a willing and intentional desire on our behalf. “Lord, I want this!”

It might help to understand that the people of God in the time of Hosea are "way off" the course that God would have for them. They continue with the practices, the motions, the ceremony. But in essence their acts are empty, meaningless, without real cause. Yes, they sacrifice. But it is counted as nothing because their hearts are not in it all and they continue to make for themselves idols, other gods in place of the One True God. They and their acts are unacceptable to God.

“Lord, tonight I would utter those words afresh for my own life. I want to KNOW You! I want by the power of Your Spirit to press on, intentionally act in ways that are meaningful and holy and right, toward encountering You more in my everyday life. Thus as You share this journey with me, shall I further come to KNOW You more and more and more. Lord, help me to trust. Help me to listen. Help me to follow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...