Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Who wins ...

Today I was part of a leadership team who met with the purpose of getting to know each other. Tomorrow we have a bunch of children coming to a camp (Adventure Camp in South Australia). Generally speaking these children come from some form of disadvantage to be there. It was my privilege, along with my family to commence these camps about 20 years ago, so I have had a long association with them (though not having done every camp in this time).

As I was thinking about it again tonight, and reflecting upon the difference we can make in a young persons life. I recall many years ago the question being asked what difference can we make in less than a week with these young ones. This prompted me to recall the letters we would receive from a principal from a primary school who would say, I don't know what it is you do to these children when they come to your camp, but don't stop doing it (The school faculty had noticed a difference in the child's behaviour). Or the parents who would write and tell us how different their child was after attending the camp. And sometimes the parent who would explain that this was the first break they had had in such a long time with a behaviorally challenged child (and to think how much trust they had placed in us to look after their child over this period - it wasn't always easy or straightforward, but I sure reckon it was worth it).

I recall on another occasion, a One Mission Conference here in Adelaide a few years ago. The topic of an elective was around working with youth and some of the challenges associated with this. One youth leader was somewhat exasperated by the fact they would get "somewhere" with the youth and then they would hang around mates a lot, and things would tend to go backward. Another youth leader shared his thoughts - he who spends the most time with them wins. In other words, if you want to influence then you need to spend time with them, as much time as you can. Otherwise, others who do spend a lot of time with them will have the greater influence.

Two thoughts from this.
  1. Firstly, the importance of the camps is to introduce these children to the difference Jesus makes in a persons life. It isn't by way of preaching at them, rather by demonstrating in the way we carry ourselves, how we interact with them, our generosity of giving out ourselves to them.
  2. Secondly, I am reminded that if I want to live like Jesus. If I desire to mirror Him in my actions and character and behaviour, then I need to spend time with Him. In prayer. In the Word. In silence just listening to Him.
Who is going to win in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...