Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Saturday, July 3, 2010

How you live ...

Do you have those occasions when you think, I don't know that I will worry about this ..." and then you decide, nah I think I will do that. And when you do you discover something that you would otherwise have missed out on. There are times when I will leave some of the readings from the "Life journal Reading Plan" opting to shorten the load on the occasion, ie. I might choose not to do the Chronicles readings for a series, etc. Well that is where I was at today, I thought I would give the 2 Chronicles 26 & 27 a miss, then changed my mind. I am glad I did.

In chapter 26 we read of the great start that Uzziah got off to as King:

2 Chronicles 26:4-5 (New Living Translation)
4 He did what was pleasing in the Lord’s sight, just as his father, Amaziah, had done. 5 Uzziah sought God during the days of Zechariah, who taught him to fear God. And as long as the king sought guidance from the Lord, God gave him success.


It seems that the Kings who were pleasing in the Lord's sight are few and far between. And then there is the disappointment:

2 Chronicles 26:16 (New Living Translation)
Uzziah’s Sin and Punishment
16 But when he had become powerful, he also became proud, which led to his downfall. He sinned against the Lord his God by entering the sanctuary of the Lord’s Temple and personally burning incense on the incense altar.

It was then that I read further into chapter 27, I am so glad that I did. Here I encountered Uzziah's son, Jotham, and here are the couple of encouraging verses:

2 Chronicles 27:2 (New Living Translation)
2 Jotham did what was pleasing in the Lord’s sight. He did everything his father, Uzziah, had done, except that Jotham did not sin by entering the Temple of the Lord. But the people continued in their corrupt ways.

2 Chronicles 27:6 (New Living Translation)
6 King Jotham became powerful because he was careful to live in obedience to the Lord his God.

I love reading of those who have managed to keep it together. Especially when there is some record of what assisted them to do this. What helped them to be successful. For Jotham we discover it was because he was careful to live in obedience to the Lord his God.

What does this mean? I believe it marries with those verses we have looked at before whereby we are reminded that God is satisfied when we are honest and upright before Him. When we remember to listen and attune our lives to His instruction, being obedient to His voice, rather than merely following tradition or practice. I reckon it aligns to the occasions where instruction is given to "guard your faith". To ensure that you remain in the Lord by displaying those fruits of the Spirit in your life (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control).

"Lord, it is my desire to be one of Your servants who is careful to live in obedience to Your plan for my life. I understand though that I cannot accomplish this in my own strength. Help me to lean on the strength that comes in Your Holy Spirit, so that I might be counted faithful and obedient."

1 comment:

  1. I often do this too! Sometimes I won't worry about my devotion for the day and whenever I do it - God surprises me and I learn more about Him!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know your thoughts ...