Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Be strong & courageous ...

There is a message in these verses, all from the one, same chapter, see if you might draw the same conclusion as me:

Joshua 1:6-7, 9, 18 (New Living Translation)
6 “Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do.

9 This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

18 Anyone who rebels against your orders and does not obey your words and everything you command will be put to death. So be strong and courageous!

Well I hope you have drawn the same conclusion that I have. For the Lord had a very definite message for Joshua as he took on this almost unenviable task of following Moses as the leader of the Israelites. He (Joshua) was to have confidence in the fact that God had chosen him for this purpose and on these grounds he could have strength and courage.

I love the fact that there are no mixed or clouded messages here. It is plain and simple. The repetitiveness says, this is truth, this is My (God's) promise to you. I (God) want to be clear on this fact.

There is something else though, that we must not overlook. The message from God is pointless and of no benefit to us, IF, we are not listening. And, if we are not willing, in hearing, to stand firm on His promises for us. I think Joshua is a remarkable leader. However, had he not been willing to listen and hear and apply the promises God gave him, he would have been a miserable failure.

"Lord, You implore us that in having ears we need to listen. And yet we are reminded that listening is nothing if we are not willing to act upon the direction or promises You have for us. Help me to listen. Help me to be obedient and faithful to Your message and promises for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...