Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, June 14, 2010

Contentment ...

I am reminded again today of just how easy it is to fall short of the mark or the goal I might have. Paul concludes his letter to the Christians in Philippi with these words:

Philippians 4:11-12 (New Living Translation)
11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.

I am still to learn this practice of contentment. I tend to be a person of the "more and better". I love technology and electronic gadgets. I love new. I love to learn (thus more books are purchased, and yes, most if them are actually read). However, I wonder how I would fair if there were only a couple of things I could have? What would I choose? I have thought of this at times in this fashion, if I were to get an appointment overseas and could only take a few boxes of books, what would I take? (I reckon Patrick Lencioni would fair well, as would Andy Stanley, Wayne Cordeiro and Bill Hybels, I reckon that might be my limit of books already.)

I am glad though that Paul did not leave it there when referencing his contentment, for he goes on to record:

Philippians 4:13 (New Living Translation)
13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

It is still a journey, yet I think I am getting there. I reckon I am learning to be more dependant upon Jesus to be my sufficiency. And the more I think about it, even right at this moment, I believe I could do without my gadgets and such (well maybe not the bike and riding gear, but I think He might allow those things for keeping physically in tune - here's hoping).

"Jesus, I desire for You be not only my Hope and my Protector in life, but that You also give me the strength for each new day. So that I can stand firm in the promises You have for me. So that I can be effective for You in this mission of connecting with people with the Good News. Help me to keep learning and trusting in You each brand new day."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...