Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What do you live for ...

There is no doubt that when we look around we can see people living for themselves. With others it can be somewhat subtle, we see them as successful, piling up great amounts of wealth, sometimes doing good for others around them, but largely it is about them. We do have to be careful however, because some are rich, and yet they are also generous, but quiet about it, not broadcasting all they do for others.

I began thinking about this after today's reading from Romans 14:6-9 (New Living Translation)
6 Those who worship the Lord on a special day do it to honor him. Those who eat any kind of food do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating. And those who refuse to eat certain foods also want to please the Lord and give thanks to God. 7 For we don’t live for ourselves or die for ourselves. 8 If we live, it’s to honor the Lord. And if we die, it’s to honor the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 Christ died and rose again for this very purpose—to be Lord both of the living and of the dead.

I know I will sound judgemental, but I wish ALL who came to worship (formal services), did so to honour God. I am challenged by giving thanks out of an honouring heart (I admit, too often it is rhetoric, conditioned practice, unthinking). But here was the real challenge, the juicy part:

7 For we don’t live for ourselves or die for ourselves. 8 If we live, it’s to honor the Lord. And if we die, it’s to honor the Lord.

That is what I desire. I love the book by John Bevere, Honor's Reward, if you haven't read it I highly recommend it. Take up the challenge to honour those around you. Look for what is good in them. See those who are God appointed and lift them up.

"Lord, You deserve honour and glory and praise. Tonight I lift high Your Name, for You are Worthy. Yet I am reminded this is not merely by words, this must be by how I live my life, and in fact, how I might die. May I do this to Your honour and glory!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...