Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Get dressed ...

Here I am I have just arrived home from work, it's been a long day, yet I at least feel I have accomplished something, even if it is only going through some piled up papers and getting rid of much of them. I came back to my readings from this morning and was thinking about this verse:

Romans 13:14 (New Living Translation)
Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.

The reference was in relation to not getting caught up in the things of the world to the point that these things (desires, misconducts, behaviours) have a hold on you. Instead, put on (clothe yourself in) Jesus.

Then, I decided to see what this looked like in another translation, so have a look at this one:

Romans 13:11-14 (The Message)
But make sure that you don't get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God. The night is about over, dawn is about to break. Be up and awake to what God is doing! God is putting the finishing touches on the salvation work he began when we first believed. We can't afford to waste a minute, must not squander these precious daylight hours in frivolity and indulgence, in sleeping around and dissipation, in bickering and grabbing everything in sight. Get out of bed and get dressed! Don't loiter and linger, waiting until the very last minute. Dress yourselves in Christ, and be up and about!

Ahhh, was this for me or what? Boy am I tired. How easy it is to get caught up in that which is frivolous, without much meaning, with that which does not really matter. How much more important to get up and get dressed in Christ. Ready to bring the plan of salvation to the world in which I live.
 
"Lord, thanks for the reminder afresh to be employed in what really matters, to not forget the purpose for which I have been chosen and ordained and commissioned as Your servant."
 
PS  Please give me a good rest!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Andrew. It is a good reminder to me to not get lost in the frivolity and indulgence that are around me.

    Lord may the Spirit that is in us, be the lead writer of the agenda of our day, and night, and give us the prompting to stay awake and alert during the kingdom business of the day and the rejuvenation of the night.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know your thoughts ...