Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Do you need rest ...

Those of you who know me would know I am somewhat energetic and active in whatever I do. If you were to observe me you would see I find it difficult to sit for too long. You might recall that on a previous occasion I have mentioned how I really love what I do (ie. ministry). So, you might understand that a verse like the following one appeals to me.
Ephesians 6:7-8 (New Living Translation)
7 Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord
rather than for people. 8 Remember that the Lord will reward each
one of us for the good we do, whether we are slaves or free.

You might also understand that what appears as laziness and lack of energy to one's responsibilities in ministry frustrates me. It displeases me when I see some working hard and really putting in, whilst others seem like they couldn't care about what they do. However, this is a journey and I continue to be willing to learn and open to change. When I stop a while and reflect, I begin to realise afresh how diverse we might each be. How we can be wired differently. I might even become rebuked by the fact that people are tired, they are struggling, they have hit a wall - and if I am closed in my thinking, then I can be of no assistance to them. So here is a good verse for anyone who might be feeling exhausted and needing some rest:

 
Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)
28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?
Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life.
I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and
work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced
rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or
ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll
learn to live freely and lightly."

 
I love the way Eugene Peterson captures this invitation, don't you? Look at the break down of it again -

  • are you tired?
  • worn out?
  • burned out?
  • come to Me
  • get away with Me and you'll recover your life
  • I'll show you how to take a real rest
  • walk with Me
  • work with Me
  • watch how I do it
  • learn the unforced rhythms of grace
  • keep company with Me


Seriously, if you feel under the pump. If you are struggling to cope with all that is necessary. Take up the generous invitation of Jesus.

 
"Lord, continue to work on me, my behaviours, my attitude, my judgement. Help me to be open to learn, to listen with fresh ears and to watch and discern according to Your wisdom and love and care for others. Help me to be a help and not a hindrance so that I might contribute to others being well and right in their relationship and work for You. Help me too to see the importance in coming aside and BEing in Your presence too."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...