Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stick at it ...

What a lesson I am reminded of today. As the Lord yet again brings to the forefront of my attention the need to acknowledge the change that has taken place in my life, by turning away from stuff of the past that has entangled me, distracted me, weighed heavy upon me.

Join me in looking at these verses:

Romans 6:13 (The Message)
12-14 That means you must not give sin a vote in the way you conduct your lives. Don't give it the time of day. Don't even run little errands that are connected with that old way of life. Throw yourselves wholeheartedly and full-time—remember, you've been raised from the dead!—into God's way of doing things. Sin can't tell you how to live. After all, you're not living under that old tyranny any longer. You're living in the freedom of God.

One of the goals I had in establishing this BLOG was that I would stick at it long enough that it might be formed into a new habit, a new pattern would form in my life. Something that I believe is healthy and of assistance to my growth. And that  has begun. Yet it is still a journey.  However, I am reminded that unless we continue in this way, attentive to the discipline, old habits will rise to the surface with a vengeance. It would be so easy to get caught in a television program and allow it to be a distraction. Or maybe to arrange lots of times out with other people. Some things can even appear innocent on the surface, but if they replace the discipline we are trying to form, they are not helpful at all.
 
I love this expression, "throw yourselves wholeheartedly and full time ..." It isn't always easy. It can be challenging. It can take some effort. It can cost us.
 
Are you willing to stick at it?
 
"Lord, again I realise just how easy it is for distractions to take me off course and away from the plan You have for me. The disciplines You desire are not easy to form, they can come at a cost, yes, beneficial in the end, but difficult along the way at times. Please assist me to stick at it and to lean on You in the times when the distractions are greatest."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...