Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, June 7, 2010

Love what you do ...

I have struggled somewhat with the record of Ecclesiastes. It is so negative, pessimistic, without hope (for the best part anyway). And then I read these words:

Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 (New Living Translation)
18 Even so, I have noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat, drink, and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life. 19 And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God. 20 God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past.

I am glad for this "one thing". I think this is about me. I not only "accept" my lot in life, I revel in it. I enjoy it. there is nothing like it. I find it so fulfilling. I cannot see myself doing anything else. Would I like some more money - yep you bet! Do I enjoy good health - I sure do (and really hope this continues through the years). But I also recognise that the love I have for what I am a part of, what God gives me to do, is indeed a "gift" from God. I have known people who have earned for themselves very large sums of money, but it hasn't brought them fulfillment. I have known some elite athletes, but again, there is always something allusive they seem to be chasing and never finding. I think I have what they seek in any of these areas.

In fact I like what Paul has to say to the Ephesian church:
 
Ephesians 3:7 (New Living Translation)
7 By God’s grace and mighty power, I have been given the privilege of serving him by spreading this Good News.

I count the opportunity to minister and be a part of people's journey (your journey) to be a privilege. And I acknowledge this to be by God (His grace, His power).

"Lord, I am am grateful for the lot you have given me in life. Forgive me for the times when I seem ungrateful, when I might chase after something else, something others have. Continue to bless me with the richness of your grace and power, active in and through my life, that You might be given glory and honour and praise."

2 comments:

  1. hey andrew, great insight here. You want to come and share this at our officers fellowship? right along the track that we are heading .. praying that God will continue to inspire you through his Word.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know your thoughts ...