Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

God shows up ...

I am somewhat an OT (Old Testament) person, love the stories, the accounts. Just seems to bring home with clarity the message for me, not that the NT (New Testament) doesn't.

Have a look at 1 Kings 17: 1-24. We have the account of Elijah being fed by ravens in a time of drought, followed by the Widow feeding him and caring for him too.

1 Kings 17:1-24 (New Living Translation)
2 Then the Lord said to Elijah, 3 “Go to the east and hide
by Kerith Brook, near where it enters the Jordan River.
4 Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring you,
for I have commanded them to bring you food.” ...
6 The ravens brought him bread and meat each morning
and evening, and he drank from the brook.

Without doubt Elijah bears testimony to the fact that God provides for him. God meets his basic needs with the required supply of water and food each day. Fresh and enough. After a while though even this dries up. But God goes on to make provision for him again. And again the interesting element is that it is from an unexpected source. A widow. And even this woman is struggling to get by. She is recorded as saying to Elijah - I am about to prepare the last of what I have for my son and I and we will die. Elijah gives her instruction as to what she is to do and repeats those inevitable words of comfort echoed so often from the Lord as a promise to His faithful people - "Don't be afraid!"

The instruction is to go ahead as she was planning, but to make a little for him "first". And guess what? She does and God shows up, God provides. Not just for that meal, but for quite some period of time.

There is more - so go on and read it for yourself.

Here's the thing for me. God promises that He will take care of me (oh, and you!). I am reminded He works in some amazing ways at times and what this reminds me how awesome and how in control He is. These accounts are right out there, but they reveal His ability to "do". They reveal God's faithfulness as my provider.

"Father, thank You for continuing to show up as You say you will. Thank you that when those words are echoed in my life "Don't be afraid!" I can relax and wait upon You and know You will show up, You will provide."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...