Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Copy cat ...

Do you remember growing up and someone observing what you were doing and calling you a "copy cat" because you were doing the same as someone else, imitating that other person? At other times you might have even done this to strike up a reaction, mirroring their actions to get a point across, often something annoying to you, hoping that they might also become aware of this.

Or, the other is that you observe traits in another that you want to exemplify in your own life, your behaviour, your character. I know there were things I remember of others whereby I wanted to be "just like them" for this element of their life. I think of Eric, who was so generous and would put himself out for others, especially youth whom he wanted to be influenced by the Gospel. Eric would make sure you had a ride to get to youth group or bible study or that special concert, no matter the cost to him - you know what, I wanted to be like Eric. Or Bob, who seemed to me to master the Word of God in such a way that it became alive and real and easy to comprehend - boy did I want to imitate Bob.

So how about these verses from the Scripture today:

Ephesians 5:1-2 (New Living Translation)
1 Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.
2 Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and
offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.

Ephesians 5:1 (The Message)
1-2Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper
behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company
with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was
not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from
us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.
 
I really like The Message in bringing this alive for me. Isn't it great - "watch what God does, and then do it" - so profound yet so simple. Sit back a while and take it in, observe the acts of God around you and follow His lead. Reading further, "mostly what God does is love you" and I especially love this bit, "keep company with Him and learn a life of love". It doesn't appear that difficult when you think of it in these terms, does it? If I will only stay close to Him and allow His actions to rub off on me. Allow His act of love to infect my life and my relationships, so that I too love like this.
 
"Lord, that is what I want. Help me to stop a while, to watch You, and to take stock of Your love for me, for us. Help me to learn to reflect, imitate You in my life through this same action."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...