Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Monday, June 21, 2010

What shall I do ...

Have you ever been in a tight jam? In a place or position that you thought there was no way out? You couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, things were just too difficult. You might have even questioned where God was in all that was taking place.

What was your reaction? Was it a feeling of overwhelming anxiousness? A time of worry and concern, verging on wanting to give up, or give in? Or, was there something in your spirit that said, it is going to be OK. I believe God is in this somehow. I know He has been faithful in the past to take care of me, and though I am not sure how, I am sure He has a plan to see me through this.

I think I have experienced a mixture of all of these feelings, emotions and thoughts at some point over time. So it was terrific to read of Elisha's faith and action in the account from 2 Kings 6 this morning. Threats being made upon himself, and Israel. To the naked eye, this was an impossible situation, a great army with many chariots and horses, surrounding them and about to attack. Read the story in verses 8-23, but especially note these few verses with me:

2 Kings 6:15-20 (New Living Translation)
15 When the servant of the man of God got up early the next morning and went outside, there were troops, horses, and chariots everywhere. “Oh, sir, what will we do now?” the young man cried to Elisha.
16 “Don’t be afraid!” Elisha told him. “For there are more on our side than on theirs!”
17 Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!” The Lord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire.
18 As the Aramean army advanced toward him, Elisha prayed, “O Lord, please make them blind.” So the Lord struck them with blindness as Elisha had asked.
19 Then Elisha went out and told them, “You have come the wrong way! This isn’t the right city! Follow me, and I will take you to the man you are looking for.” And he led them to the city of Samaria.
20 As soon as they had entered Samaria, Elisha prayed, “O Lord, now open their eyes and let them see.” So the Lord opened their eyes, and they discovered that they were in the middle of Samaria.

You will note I have taken the liberty to highlight my discovery - "Elisha prayed". When all seemed to be hopeless and defeat inevitable, Elisha turns to God and whats more, doesn't merely request help, but has some specifics in mind.

One might be justified in being nervous in this sort of predicament, however, I think the learning for me is that I ought to be growing in my experience, and my faith ought to be expanding beyond merely throwing up my hands and wondering how I will get through this circumstance. My faith should have me believing in the might and strength and care of my God, and I ought to be in prayer before Him.

"Father, help me to believe. To see that in You the impossible is able to be overcome, in fact more than this, it is a proving ground for Your faithfulness to me, Your child. It is an opportunity to bring glory to You. Help me to glorify You in the obedience and firmness of my faith that displays my belief in Your ability to make my ways straight and good."

1 comment:

Please let me know your thoughts ...