Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Saturday, June 26, 2010

What sort of God ...

It is interesting to see how people see God. Have you noticed the amount who see Him as the "BIG Ogre". Out to get those who step out of line from the commandments (mostly), or some even think, just because He can. They want to blame Him for that which is wrong in the world (interesting when they don't actually believe in Him at all). Yet then, when things are extremely impactful upon them, they cry out to Him for help, "if You are there, help me!"

Poor Jonah. Here he is attempting to run from God and the task He has set him. Jonah must have thought he had gotten away with it when he got on the ship for Tarshish. And then the sea begins to buck and sway and all are afraid (apart from Jonah, asleep in the hold). And then he is thrown into the depths of the ocean, alone, turbulent and expectant that life would be snuffed from him I reckon. But then, who would have figured he would be swallowed by a big fish, still alive, for three days even. Well you probably know the story from here, the big fish spews Jonah up onto the beach, he ends up on Nineveh, preaches the message the Lord had for them there, and they repent.

Now we might have thought this was a pretty good outcome. Isn't that the reason that the Message, the Word, is preached? Not according to Jonah, he expected that if the people had been doing wrong and God says they are going to be wiped out for it, then they should be wiped out for it. Funny though, cause Jonah sort of knew the opposite was likely. He knew what God was capable of. Have a look:

Jonah 4:2 (New Living Translation)
2 So he complained to the Lord about it:
“Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord?
That is why I ran away to Tarshish!
I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God,
slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
You are eager to turn back from destroying people.

Now, I reckon you would rather this God that Jonah describes, than the one who is going to wipe out a load of people just because He can (well I suppose because they were disobedient).
 
Capture a moment the picture that these descriptive words - merciful, compassionate, slow to get angry, filled with unfailing love, forgiving. What a sensational God we worship and serve!
 
"Father, I not only desire to experience these attributes applied to my life, but have the message they teach imparted to others through my living. Help me to reflect You in my daily living - merciful, compassionate, slow to get angry, filled with unfailing love, forgiving."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...