Welcome to my journey

Welcome to my journey as I read the Word, other books and live life ...

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fess up ...

I am reminded of the need for confession in the daily routine of prayer. You know how you know the stuff but you loose sight of the why? The implicit need of a practice, of a habit being formed.

James L Nicodem in Prayer Coach reminded me again tonight. "When we confess on a regular basis, we keep ourselves in a state of brokenness - in the best sense of the word. Our character is being formed to the image of Christ. Our spirit is supple and responsive to God's leadings. God can use us."

I get that, but what I was missing was, what happens when this brokenness isn't taking place. When I remain in a state of unbrokenness. For it is in this state that the cracks begin to show. The character begins to skew from the character of Christ and a human, fallible character begins to be displayed. Things like:

  • pride
  • irritability
  • impatience
  • insensitivity
  • resentment in relation to others
  • indifference toward God
Anything familiar there for you? I know there is for me.  I need to spend time with God for His character to form in me. I need to confess my sinfulness, my shortcomings and my failures before Him, to allow Him opportunity to cleanse me, to refashion me.

"Father, You are the Potter and I am the clay, break me, melt me, mould me, use me ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts ...